Monday 7 September 2009

I'm slowly joining the Android revolution.

Now, I'm the kind of person that's kind of a dork. Okay, a big dork. I don't really like Facebook, I don't have a Twitter account and don't really know how it works, I don't do De.Lic.ious (or however you spell it), I don't Digg, I don't StumbleUpon anything, and I never MySpaced.

Now, I'm not saying that those qualities deserve some kind of award, and I'm not putting down people who are experts at communicating with all of this media. Hell, I'm married to someone that has his own communications company, so I'm well aware how important these things are. I know that I should probably be more connected to the universe considering I'm in the advertising/media business. I can converse with the most senior executives on the power of social networking and the resulting brand exposure that can result from it, but for me personally, I don't use it.

I just don't really like having all my information out in cyberspace where everyone can potentially see it and track me down. I don't really feel the need to tell people what I'm doing all the time and where I am, and I don't really want to know when their next bowel movement is either.

The other day, my parents told me that a really old acquaintance of mine contacted them the other day (long story short: I knew him when I was 16 and he was 20, he totally chased after me, but I wasn't interested)- he's married now, works at a supermarket I believe, and has kids from various relationships. He's a nice guy, but weird that he contacted my folks specifically looking for me.

Well, he asked my parents what my last name was, and, being that they're blissfully unaware of Facebook or anything of the sort, they saw no harm in telling him. And he said "yeah, I thought so, I found her on Facebook. I've sent her loads of messages to 'friend' me, but she's ignored me. Hmm."

Creepy.

Sorry, but this is why I tend to be inactive in groups like this. I like my anonymity. And I really don't need married fathers contacting me to rekindle some long-lost relationship.

However..

What I did realise, is that the one thing that I've been lacking in a technological sense is a decent phone. Whoopdeedoo, you're thinking. Okay, okay, I know, it seems trivial, but it was an exciting thing for me. I've had one of those basic candy-bar phones for about 5 years now, a delicious little black Sony Ericsson that has been indestructible. When I moved to the UK, I kept it and just got a UK number, and managed to do a pay-as-you-go system, avoiding a contract. I've dropped it in the water, on the concrete, stepped on it.. and it's been amazingly intact. I love things like that (not that I have a sadistic personality, I just tend to be a klutz).

Why get a new phone then? Well, it takes about 5 minutes to write one text because the keys are all condensed, the software on it is quite old so the service kept cutting in and out, and all that it was good for is talking and texting. Nothing else. So, after about a month spent debating whether to get a new phone (something with Internet access and diary management), I decided that it would be a good idea to send myself off on the Motherhood trip with a carry-everywhere-access-everything phone.

it took me about 3 weeks to do all the price comparisons, read the independent reviews and software research. I almost got a Blackberry Curve (I LOVE them), but realised that I get one for work, so I'd rather not carry two Blackberrys around if I can help it. I'd rather have a different phone on a different operating system.

And no, the iPhone wasn't in the running. I was determined NOT to get it. Every one's in this iCult at the moment, and I think it's iRidiculous. Yes, they look lovely, but I find joy in having something that most people don't. I decided to be an Android.

So I got this.

And I love it. It does look a tiny bit like an 90s Palm Pilot and it's a bit hard to get used to the touch-screen keys (every time I text, it comes out looking as if I'd gone on an Absinthe bender), but its functionality is pretty immaculate, its applications are very similar to Apple's, and it'll be useful when I'm out with the little one and trying to text with one hand and feed with the other.

Anyway, that was my treat to myself, and I think it's perfect timing, because with one month to go until D-Day, it'll take me that long to figure out how to program my voicemail.

3 comments:

Kat said...

I have the BlackBerry Storm and L-O-V-E it.

Laura said...

I like your new phone! I am kinda the same way when it comes to social networking. I do like facebook, but I actually use it to keep in touch with my real life friends and we use facebook to plan actual events and keep up to date with what everyone is doing. But the whole twitter thing... I just don't get it! I signed up for an account and gave it the old college try... but I just thought it was silly and haven't been able to keep it going. I could care less what people are thinking/eating/drinking at every moment of the day, and I really don't feel a need to fill them in on those things with me either. Oh well... to each his own I guess. Anyway... have fun with the new phone... and if you don't mind, send some wishes out into the universe for me that I deliver this baby soon!!!!!!!

Michelle said...

Over here it is called the mytouch. I got it a few weeks ago and absolutely love it! The keyboard is kind of odd but it is much easier if you turn it sideways. I even dropped it in the bathtub the other night and it still works!!
Nice pick!