Sunday 11 November 2012

We just might make it work.

This morning I was sitting amongst piles of boxes, paperwork and half-drunk cups of coffee, and I Googled "how to work with your spouse without killing him". Yes, really.

I'll be honest, I'm not one to handle my faults with grace. I don't face a challenge with steadfast determination (although I do get there eventually). I face a challenge with some finger-pointing, stalling, a bit of foot-stamping, frowning, a tiny bit of shouting and a whole lot of sulking. It doesn't get me anywhere, and actually delays whatever I'm working on for a good hour or two.

I wish I could say otherwise. I wish I could be the person that a lot of people call "determined", and "ballsy" and sometimes "fearless". Oh, but that's not me on the inside. Nope. Especially when it comes to working with someone who knows me well enough to point out those weaknesses, highlight them and have me learn from them.

My other half and I are pretty awesome parents, we always tend to be on the same page. We're also really good travelling partners. We explore a lot. We laugh a lot. And we're really good at thinking with a logical head when it comes to business. In our own businesses, that is.

Put us together to work on something that's a huge undertaking... well, that's a whole different story. It's new to us, and my assumption was that the dynamics would be easy to navigate. No. It isn't. Hasn't been. It's exciting, terrifying, emotional and personal. It's complicated.

He's super brilliant when it comes to managing people. Knowing a market. Knowing how to sculpt a business into what it's supposed to be doing and who it's supposed to reach. He's been running his own business now for almost 4 years, so he's learned how to navigate completely new territories. I, on the other hand, am good at seeing things on a more creative level, both with words and with colour. I nitpick. I lose myself in a "well, should it be bright green or dark green?" dilemma. I'll do the emotional, touch-feely bits, he'll do the gears and bolts, fine-tuning all of my ideas to make it work with his vision. Together we can put something together that is impactful, insightful and exciting. But not without our battles.

Today is a very long day in a string of long days, nights and weeks, building something that hopefully will be great. I think it will be. And I think I need to focus on the bigger picture sometimes instead of the details.

We will get there. It will happen. Although a shed to escape to at the bottom of the garden wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing...

No comments: