Thursday 6 March 2008

Hiatus.

Hello again. I'm back. No, it wasn't the haircut that made me go into hiding (it turned out so well!!), just a series of weeks where all I was doing was running and job hunting and travelling and more running around. Too much.

Yes, you read right. Job hunting.

I've been at a job that hasn't been great for me, and I left a couple weeks ago. I won't say anything bad about them (just in case I get sued.. it's the American paranoia in me), but suffice to say that I was definitely overqualified and not challenged enough. So, I'm still looking. I have a couple offers to consider, but otherwise, I'm taking my time and just living my life.

The mister advised me to "be a lady of leisure and not worry about money", which is such a wonderful thing to hear, but I can't do that. I'm too Type A or something. After the initial crying, and panic of "oh no... I don't have a job... I feel useless. How do I fill up my day!?!?!", I used the first day of my freedom to sleep in. And holy crap, I slept in until 1pm. I've never done that, because my body clock always wakes me up at 8 or 9 in the morning. The days following, my body adjusted, and I started going to the gym, teaching myself to cook more (all I know how to do well is fish, eggs, pasta and stir-fry), writing, reading, and discovering the joys of taking a bath. It sounds really simple and boring, but that's the point. I realized that I don't hate being by myself. I got used to enjoying the moments I have, and going for walks in the sun, and visiting with friends and family.

I haven't even gone shopping for shoes and stuff, and only bought some socks for the mister and a few t-shirts for myself from GAP. We did spend money on a trip to Dubai, which was nice, I met the mister there since he was already over there for a business trip. It was lovely to chill out for a few days (and if you're going there, don't bother with the shopping. It's not at all as great as they say). Then, we went to Paris for my mother-in-law's birthday (we had a dinner party and we all dressed up in 1940's garb). It was so beautiful, and an amazing celebration full of friends, family, food and wine.

So I look back at all of that and I think, we spend most of our lives at the office or rushing to an appointment, so when we get a chance to get a break, we don't recognize it as such. We see it as a foreign concept, something that's missing. Not wanting to "not be busy". Or at least that's how I've felt.

Well, after spending today cleaning the whole house, doing laundry, going to the dry cleaners, sorting through all of our bills and various paperwork, and then having the time to write this, I've changed my tune.

It's good to take a break.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Good for you for taking some time to yourself. It's a rare indulgence these days.

Hey! I have a fake Prada purse from Dubai! My sister lived there for 8 months and bought it for me.